An underbite is a severe dental issue that affects both your upper and lower teeth. It makes your smile look funny, and can be the reason for some oral health problems. We have heard people ask “Is Invisalign for underbite? Yes! Dentists can now treat underbite with Invisalign without using expanders or metal braces.
Invisalign is a comfortable and discreet treatment option for underbite. It takes away the need for surgeries and other painful procedures. You can get your Invisalign at Museum Dental Suites, but before that, read more on how it can be used to treat the misalignment.
What is an underbite?
An underbite is a dental issue that is characterised by the upper front teeth resting inside the bottom front teeth. This usually occurs when the lower jaw is displaced and positioned forward, thereby making the lower front teeth point outward in front of the upper front teeth which it now houses.
It is difficult to chew with an underbite. Your speech will be hindered to an extent, and the teeth will wear out quickly.
Causes of underbite
An underbiteis usually inherited or gotten from a terrible injury or bad habits during childhood. If you inherited the underbite, then one of your parents or family members has it. They will have the same shape of jaw and teeth like you do.
In the aspect of childhood habits, the following can cause underbite in a person:
- Using a pacifier past three years of age
- Excessive sucking of the thumb
- Using feeding bottle after the infant years
- Tongue thrusting: where the child pushes his front teeth with his tongue
Severe hits and other injuries in the mouth can cause the jaw to be damaged and make the teeth misaligned. Also, the presence of tumours in the mouth can cause problems in the jaw that can lead to misalignment of the teeth.
Why should I treat an underbite
Underbite makes people smiles look weird. It has made many people lose their self-esteem and made them lose out in the joy of meeting new people. Aside from this unpleasant side effect of an underbite, it can also lead to the following dental issues:
- Poor oral hygiene: It is difficult to clean every nook and cranny of your mouth with an underbite.
- Wearing out teeth: Underbite causes the enamel of the teeth to wear out faster than usual.
- Joint disorders: Painful joint diseases like TMJ are caused by underbite.
- Tooth decay: Poor dental hygiene and worn out enamels cause tooth decay.
How does a dentist treat underbite?
When you visit our dental practice, our dentist will examine your underbite to know what the cause of your underbite is and design a suitable treatment plan. This treatment option will depend on the cause of your underbite.
Does Invisalign treat every underbite?
No. Invisalign aligners can only treat some classes of underbite independently. Severe underbite may require Invisalign treatment alongside other treatment options, including surgery.
When you visit us, our expert dentist will use a 3D scanner to image your teeth and what they will look like when the treatment is over. He will then prepare aligners for you in batches. You will have to wear each set of aligners for 22 hours daily for two weeks each until you complete the treatment. The aligners will gently pull your teeth to the desired position.
How long does it take to treat an underbite with Invisalign?
The duration for treating an underbite with Invisalign differs from person to person. However, it is generally dependent on the following factors:
- The severity of your case
- The level of misalignment
- Your daily commitment to wearing the aligners
Mild underbite can be resolved within three to four months; others may extend to 12 months. However, the duration for treatment is shorter with traditional braces.
Why should you treat underbite with Invisalign?
The following are the benefits of treating underbites with Invisalign:
- Privacy: Invisalign offers you a discreet treatment. There are no brackets, wires or elastics,so there are no chances of the aligners being noticed when you smile.
- Comfort: Invisalign is customised to fit each patient. So, there will be no pain or discomfort since you are wearing your exact size.
- Dietary freedom: There are no limitations as to what you can eat with Invisalign as long as you take off the aligners.
- Efficiency: Invisalign is more efficient than traditional braces for some cases because the teeth will be inspected every two weeks before changing the aligners.
- Improved oral hygiene: Unlike other braces, Invisalign allows you to remove your aligners before cleaning your teeth.
- Improved self-confidence: With a better smile from Invisalign, you have better confidence to smile.
Book a free consultation for Invisalign in London before getting this orthodontic braces.