Improved technology allows patients suffering from the awful disease of breast cancer a total cure and normal life these days. However, the earlier the disease is diagnosed, the higher are the chances of a patient’s recovery. There are many types of surgery to recovery breast cancer. The type of breast cancer surgery that you are suitable for is dependent mostly on a couple of factors. These are as following:
- The size of your breasts
- How far the disease has spread through
A cancer specialist will consider these factors to decide the ideal treatment for you. There are many reputed centers to treat the disease these days. Experts at these medical facility centers use the latest technology to cure patients. Read on to know more about the types of surgery to remove breast cancer that these medical specialists perform.
Table of Contents
Different Types Of Breast Cancer Surgery
It is a common surgical process performed for Breast Cancer.
- When there is a lump detected on a breast or a mammogram detects a suspicious growth, a biopsy is conducted on the patient.
- The surgeon removes the entire lump or just a tissue sample, which is then studied under a microscope.
Lumpectomy or breast-conserving :
Many women develop a single tumor, which normally remains below 4 cm. in size. These patients usually undergo lumpectomy surgery.
- This surgical process is done to remove a tumor on the breast along with some of the surrounding tissues.
- This surgery is normally performed under local anesthesia and the patient is discharged home after the procedure.
- In severe cases, doctors prescribe radiation therapy after this surgery. In such cases, the surgical process becomes as effective as mastectomy.
Mastectomy or breast removal
This type of surgery removes the entire breast. Doctors at the breast clinic perform this surgical treatment either to cure patients of the disease or as a preventive measure. The type of surgery is recommended in cases where:
- Cancerous tissues cannot be completely removed by lumpectomy
- The patient cannot tolerate radiation therapy
- Two or more areas of the same breast are affected by the life-threatening disease
Variations of mastectomy:
Mastectomy surgery has a lot of variations. Some of the major variations of the surgery include total mastectomy, modified radical mastectomy and radical mastectomy.
- A total mastectomy removes the entire breast, including the nipple, areola, skin and the fatty tissue underneath the skin.
- In a modified radical mastectomy, the entire breast is removed, including the nipple, areola, skin and the fatty tissue under it. Even some of the underarm lymph nodes are not spared in this surgical process.
- Radical mastectomy involves removal of the total breast including all the lymph nodes present under the armpit along with the muscles in the chest. However, this surgery is rare these days at the major breast clinics.
Breast restoration or reconstructive surgery is performed after mastectomy. But, this surgery is only for those women who do not want to wear the prosthesis.
Surgeries to treat breast cancer are safe and usually prove helpful in curing patients of the frightening disease. However, you need to be under the supervision of a specialist. If you detect any abnormal growth on your breasts or experience any difficulty, do not ignore the symptom. Rush to a specialist clinic and get a thorough examination done.
Spread the love Have you ever felt trapped in a cycle that seems impossible to break? You’re not alone! It’s
Spread the love In today’s fast-paced world, taking care of our physical health has become more important than ever before.
Spread the love Belly inflation, a form of body modification art, has gained attention in recent years for its unique