Self-care is synonymous with the concept of self-preservation. Especially when one is dealing with grief, it is not just the mind but also our body and soul that are going through excruciating pain and a multitude of emotions. During such a delicate phase, allow yourself to take as much time as you need and seek support from family and friends.
When it comes to starting with your self-care journey, you must adopt the practices with a realistic and practical approach rather than choosing things that you just aspire to do. The self-care activities that you practice must be right for you in a way that does not lead to worsening of your mental well being. We have compiled a list of some of the best practices so that you can get the ball rolling.
Table of Contents
Practice Self Compassion
Though at times of pain it may seem far-fetched, self-compassion has tremendous power to heal. Give yourself the necessary space, time and love.
- Go for a walk or a stroll in nature with your loved ones.
- Read books for stress releases such as self-help and spiritual books.
- Take a long relaxing bath with your favourite scents and aromatherapy candles.
- Have a good cry. Loss of a relationship is always painful. Know that it is okay to express through tears.
- Play some music or listen to relatable stories. There is a great sense of comfort in knowing that people go through similar experiences in life as the ones you might be having.
- Engage in activities that require your mind to focus. You can do a crossword/puzzle alone or play some fun games with your loved ones for a change of mood.
- Practice gratitude daily. One of the best ways to accomplish this is to maintain a journal and write down the things that you are grateful for.
- Try and do something that you are good at. This can either be taking care of your pet, gardening or simply cooking.
- Make a memory capsule or collage to keep your thoughts and feelings safe.
- Plan an outing with your friends. It can just be a simple dinner or a weekend getaway to get some fresh air.
Nutrition and exercise
A self-care routine for your physical wellbeing is as important as it is for your mental health.
- Establish a routine by taking tiny steps such as going for a walk or practising simple yoga and stretching.
- Exercising even a little every day can help you shift your focus in life.
- Cut back on the intake of sugary drinks, processed food, and alcohol.
- Your meals must be inclusive of all kinds of nutrients and minerals such as proteins, carbs, fats, fibres, and iron so you don’t end up feeling lethargic.
- Eat small meals throughout the day to ensure proper nourishment for your body.
- Don’t forget to keep sipping on water regularly.
- Have special meal days with your loved one and indulge in some good and yummy food.
- Remember to go for your annual doctor and dentists appointments.
Reach out to others
- Share your feelings with your loved ones. Accepting the help of your loved ones can help you heal healthily.
- While it is okay to take some time away from others, in the long run, it is better to express and share with your family and friends.
- Draw some spiritual support by engaging in such communities and gaining more knowledge.
- Plan regular meetings and outings with your friends.
- Joining a support group can make you feel more empowered and less lonely.
- Join online support groups specializing in grief. Here you can get access to people who are going through similar experiences and how they are better able to cope with it.
- Do some volunteering at old age homes, orphanages, or organizations close to the lost loved one.
- Join activity clubs such as yoga, choir, or sports.
- In case you are not able to bear the emotional turmoil, consider taking professional help from a counsellor or therapist. Seek out mental health organizations, funeral homes, cremation servicesin Delhi for grief specific counselling.
The list of self-care activities is never-ending. Choose to go with what feels right for you. What did you do to take care of your grieving self? Share with us!
Spread the loveIn today’s fast-paced world, taking care of our physical health has become more important than ever before. It
Spread the loveBelly inflation, a form of body modification art, has gained attention in recent years for its unique and
Spread the loveHave you ever thought about the real value of a smile? It’s a simple act that can brighten