Beginners Guide for UPSC Civil Services Exam Preparation 2022
Beginners Guide for Civil Services Exam Preparation 2022
The civil services exam conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is one of the most sought after examinations in the country. Lakhs of aspirants apply for this exam every year and only a handful manage to crack it.
It is a three-stage exam which, when cracked, will get you your ticket into a career in the illustrious Indian civil services. Especially for beginners, having sound knowledge of the recruitment process and the written examinations is extremely important, and with multiple myths and questions in each mind, discussed below is a detailed guide on how to prepare for the upcoming UPSC Exam.
There are various questions that run in the minds of the aspirants when they take up the decision to apply for the Indian administrative posts.
- How can I prepare for UPSC at home?
- Where can I get the study material?
- How to start with the exam preparation?
- Is the IAS exam tough to crack?
And the list goes on. It is important to strategize a plan and accordingly start the exam preparation. For further details about the upcoming IAS Exam, candidates can visit the linked article.
UPSC Syllabus and Exam Pattern
Preparation for Civil Service Exam is not easy, to start off, one must know the comprehensive syllabus and exam pattern followed to shortlist and finally appoint candidates to various posts. Given below is the IAS exam pattern in brief:
|Prelims||General Studies I||200||2 hours|
|General Studies II (CSAT)||200||2 hours|
|Mains||Paper-I||Essay (can be written in the medium of the candidate’s choice)||250|
|Paper-II||General Studies – I (Indian Heritage & Culture, History & Geography of the World & Society)||250|
|Paper-III||General Studies – II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice & International Relations)||250|
|Paper-IV||General Studies – III (Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Security & Disaster Management)||250|
|Paper-V||General Studies – IV (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)||250|
|Paper-VI||Optional Subject – Paper I||250|
|Paper-VII||Optional Subject – Paper II||250|
Tips To Start Your UPSC Preparation
Once an aspirant can analyse the syllabus and exam pattern, he/she can move forward with setting up a timetable, comprehend their strengths and weaknesses and accordingly start the preparation. Refer to the civil services preparation tips given below:
- Set a Smart & Strategic Study Plan – Divide the time efficiently ensuring the time is devoted equally for the preparation of each subject. Considering the comprehensiveness of the syllabus, following a smart strategy is advisable than getting into details of everything
- Get Rid of the Various Myths in your mind about the examination – While reading about the UPSC exams online, various myths seem to be scrolling around like the examination is very tough, one cannot prepare from home, it is impossible to crack the exam at the first attempt, luck plays a very important factor and many more. When a candidate chooses the path of preparation for the administrative services, he/she must get rid of all these thoughts and use a positive approach for exam preparation
- Sort out your sources of information – Facts play an important role in the questions asked in the written examinations, thus, the resources used for studying also play a very important role. So, gather the best set of books, online portals, current affairs magazines, yearbooks, etc. with the most appropriate and correct information
- Make Proper Notes – Considering the scope of the syllabus, keeping everything in mind is not possible. So, making proper notes is extremely important. It will also help in revising the core points during the final months before the commencement of the written exams
- Figure out if you’ll need assistance – It is not mandatory to join a coaching institute to qualify for the exam, preparation can also be done at home. But to comprehend if any assistance is needed is the main point. There are various Institutes and online portals which help candidates in preparing for the UPSC exam. It is the aspirant’s decision to opt for it or not
- Read Newspaper – Current Affairs and events in news constitute a major part of the prelims and mains paper. This part can be covered if at least 2 to 3 hours each day are spent on reading the news and making notes out of it. The Hindu is the most commonly recommended paper for IAS exam preparation
- Refer to Previous Year Papers and Mock Tests – Beginners can refer to the question papers from the past years to understand the standard of the exam and also to get an idea of the type of questions asked. Solving the mock tests, on the other hand, will let you review your own performance and analyse the areas of improvement. Once you begin to score more in the practice tests, it will also boost your confidence for the final exam
- Positive Approach is a must – The exam preparation can be very exhaustive, in few cases, over-pressurising as well. During this period having a positive approach and confidence over self is highly important
Furthermore, the 2022 online application is already complete and now the candidates willing to appear for the 2022 recruitment must kickstart their preparation. Those willing to know more about UPSC 2022 preparation you can visit the linked article for reference and details.
Recommended For You
Did you know that learning to play an instrument is an excellent way to exercise your mind? One of the
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was enacted in 1990. It protects the rights of those with disabilities. It ensures
Did you know that a valuable way to get a job or start a business is to discover which education