10 Great Ways to Treat a Toothache and Ease the Pain Quickly
The suitable solution for any kind of dental pain is to visit a dentist quickly. When you cannot see a dentist immediately, you will have to suffer from toothache for quite sometime. Though your goal should be to reduce the tooth pain, you need to consider the probable cause at first. Once you are aware about it, try out tooth pain relief home remedies to lessen the discomfort as soon as possible. Thus, when you suffer from oral pain, this is an indication that you have a problem that should be addressed without delay. It is important to get emergency dental treatment in case you detect any of these signs for your tooth:
- Swollen or red gums
- Blood or pus
- Red or swollen bump in the mouth
- Throbbing pain
- Swollen jaw or face
- Unpleasant or salty taste in your mouth
10 Effective ways to get rid of a toothache
- Apply a cold compress – There are two ways to stop a toothache. The first is about lessening the inflammation while the second centers on interrupting signals from the injury to your brain. You may attain the first goal by putting a cold pack or bag of frozen vegetables on the side of your face for at least 20 minutes. Make sure you use a piece of cloth so that you do not cause damage to your skin. This will help to lessen the discomfort by eradicating pain and reducing swelling.
- Take an anti-inflammatory – You can lessen the swelling and pain by taking an anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen. In case you are taking ibuprofen, try taking the medication in every few hours. Do not take the medication once and then stop after you feel better otherwise, the inflammation and pain will probably return. If you do not take ibuprofen, you may take acetaminophen as it can help with the pain.
- Rinse with salt water – Other than over-the-counter medications and cold packs, you will find some natural ways to get rid of a toothache. You can clean the infections and eliminate temporary pain by rinsing mouth with salt water. By treating a tooth pain with salt water, you can overcome those oral wounds and even lessen inflammation. Make sure you do not swallow any salt water while rinsing mouth.
- Use a hot pack – You may lessen the discomfort by applying hot pack at the side of the jaw. If you do not have a hot pack, then try to make one by filling clean sock with rice and tying one end. After this, you have to place rice-filled sock in the microwave and then heat it for a few minutes. The heat from the pack disturbs pain signals from the moth to brain.
- Try acupressure – As per the research, acupressure can lessen toothache by causing your body to release endorphins. There are specific key points on the body that can be related to oral discomfort. If you want to try acupressure, then look for reputable internet resources to get more information about these areas.
- Use peppermint tea bags – Peppermint tea bags consist of mild numbing properties that can help to get rid of oral pain in due course. Most people want to cool tea bags in the freezer for a few minutes before use. You may even apply tea bag when it is warm and then wait to cool. This will actually create a great sensation that can help you to get rid of toothache.
- Try garlic – Garlic is being used due to its medicinal properties, for killing harmful bacteria and acts like a pain reliever. If you need to use garlic for toothache, take a clove for making a paste and then applying it on the affected area. On the other hand, you may chew a clove of fresh garlic and then spit it out afterwards.
- Rinse with a guava mouthwash – Also popular for its anti-inflammatory properties, guava leaves will have antimicrobial traits that can help to overcome pain and sterilize oral wounds. You can boil crushed leaves in water or chew on fresh guava leaves or for forming a mouthwash.
- Use clove oil – It can be used for the treatment of dental pain and lessening inflammation. Since it has eugenol, which is a natural antiseptic, it can help to sterilize oral wounds. If you want to treat a toothache, then apply small amount of the oil onto a clean cotton ball and then apply it on the affected area. You might even dilute clove oil with a few drops of water or add carrier oil in case it seems very potent.
- Try a homemade thyme mouthwash – Thyme consists of antibacterial and antioxidant properties. If you want to lessen the symptoms of toothache, then try adding a few drops of thyme oil to water and form a mouthwash. You may even add dilute thyme essential oil with clean water and then add it to a cotton ball. After this, apply it on the affected area.
What you can expect from the dentist
If you want to overcome the tooth pain, then your dentist will at first assess your medical record before conducting an oral examination. After this, he/she will ask necessary questions about the toothache such as – when it had began, where it is located, how painful it is, what makes it worse and better. Your dentist will examine the condition of teeth, gums and other parts in the mouth. You will be asked to perform X-rays or other tests in order to know the exact cause of the problem.
After the dentist finds out the exact cause, he/she will discuss with you about all possible treatment options. If you are suffering from cavities, then you might require a filling. But when the tooth nerve gets infected, you will have to perform a root canal therapy. In case there is an infected area, the dentist will suggest antibiotic medication for killing the bacteria. The dentist will use phototherapy through a cold laser and other treatments in order to lessen the inflammation and pain.
Based on the severity of the problem, you will have to undergo appropriate treatment after the dental examination. The dental expert will even prescribe proper medication in order to cope up with the pain and discomfort quickly.
How you can overcome severe toothache
You can overcome a toothache by lessening the risk of oral health which is possible only by brushing teeth twice a day and flossing daily. Make sure you eat a well-balanced diet and do not take sugary foods or beverages. Also see, you do not chew on ice or hard items that can cause a tooth fracture. Finally, visit a local emergency dentist in London for dental checkups and routine cleanings so that you can get necessary treatment for your minor dental problems before they might get severe and require costly treatments.
Do you hear your neck crack more often? Are you having a hard time moving your head because of the
Are you having trouble hearing conversations, and you somehow feel embarrassed about it? We usually tend to joke to our
When you undergo oral surgery, a dentist removes dental plaque or an infected tooth or undertreats it in a way