Depression and Heart Disease – Lifestyle Factors, Physical Impacts & Remedies
People experience a lot of health conditions, one of which is depression. This condition is not uncommon. At some point in life, one may go through depression. However, people question whether persistent depression can impact general health. Well, scientists think it is possible.
A health expert says there is more evidence supporting the fact that depressed people have an increased risk of developing heart disease. But there are measures you can take to lower this risk. Take physical activity, for example. Do you know that 30 minutes to an hour of exercise can improve your heart and mood? This is true. People who smoke put their vascular system and heart in danger. If it may be hard to develop or stop some of these habits under depression, seeking help from a medical expert can help.
Patients with heart attack do experience more depression than those without the condition. On the other hand, depression is a huge trigger for heart disease. The following paragraphs will explain why this is so.
Lifestyle factors that cause depression
Depression goes beyond feeling melancholic. This condition can impact your life in more ways than you can imagine.
Experts have identified symptoms of depression to include:
- Changes in sleep pattern
- Low mood
- Feeling less enthusiastic about activities that made you happy before
- Thoughts of negativity about yourself, such as feelings of worthlessness
- Low on energy
- Inability to concentrate
- Change in appetite
Some depressed people may also have suicidal thoughts. Depression symptoms can alter the things you do everyday, including healthy habits, which can take a toll on your overall wellness. The sad thing about depression is that sufferers may neglect taking care of themselves, resulting in poor eating habits, inability to sleep, and less physical activity. If these habits continue over time, you may begin to gain weight and increase blood pressure – precursors to heart disease.
Depressed people tend to keep to themselves. They usually feel unloved and left out. Self-pity is another trait of people going through depression.
It is essential to look out for these risk factors at the best cardiac hospital in London.
What are the physical impacts of depression?
Aside from habits and lifestyle, depression also affects your physical body condition directly. As a matter of fact, depression has been associated with low-grade inflammation. This condition can block your arteries, increase the production of more stress hormones, and enhance rapid blood clotting. Debunk the idea that depression is purely a mental thing. Don’t believe it if someone says depression is loaded inside your head. This is because the condition affects your physical body too.
Remedies for depression and heart disease
There is nobody that would want to go through depression or its resultant heart disease. But the good news is that there are steps you can take to overcome depression and heart disease. You can adopt the following measures:
- Get solution for depression:If you are depressed or showing symptoms, speak with your doctor or a qualified specialist. These experts can offer you the proper medications, advice, or therapy – just what you need to feel better.
- Lower stress:Too much activity can put pressure on the mind and body. Learn to reduce daily workload by asking for help when necessary. Whatever commitment you can’t keep, gently decline. Meditation and yoga can help lower your stress levels. There are other methods you can use to get rid of stress. Try speaking with a therapist for more advice.
- Cease from smoking:Heart disease is mostly triggered by smoking. It is easy to grab a cigarette and smoke away when you feel depressed. The idea is to feel better, but it is a no-no for your heart. If you are finding it hard to quit smoking, let your doctor know. They can help you.
- Sleep well:When you don’t get enough sleep, it will worsen the condition of depression. And your body will not be spared the impact. So, learn to have a good sleep either during the day or at night.
- Drink less or stop altogether:Going for drinks because of depression is not the way out of it. Just like sleeplessness, drinking will worsen your depression and raise your blood pressure as well. Besides, high blood pressure will increase your chances of a stroke or heart attack.
- Involve in physical activity: The hormones that will make you feel good will increase when you exercise. Your heart condition will also improve with a more active lifestyle as blood circulation will improve, and the heart muscles will relax. You can join a workout group in your area for motivation. There are indoor exercises that may help clear your mind.
- Eat a healthy diet:What you eat matters as your body depends on it for energy and vitality. Eating the wrong foods will not keep your body healthy. Fatty and oily foods increase cholesterol levels. Choose to eat more fruits, whole grains, vegetables, and lean meat. These kinds of foods will lower depression and keep your body working effectively against heart disease. Go for foods rich in antioxidants – they help cleanse the blood. Drink more water daily. It helps to detoxify the body, increase body metabolism and keep you hydrated throughout the day.
After suffering a heart attack, depression easily sets in. However, if you’ve never experienced any cardiac issue, depression can raise your chances of having heart disease. Depression affects the mind and body. Learn to take care of yourself all the time. Don’t neglect health checks from time to time. Sometimes, all you need to improve depression is a minor lifestyle change.
You should book an appointment with one of the best cardiac hospitals in London for help with depression. We at One Heart Clinic offer our patients the best possible care for depression and heart disease. Let’s discuss your needs and how we can help.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19 infection? The symptoms of COVID-19 infection can vary from mild to severe. The most
Are your teeth misaligned, or do they have incorrect bites? Do you feel insecure whenever you talk or smile? If
Sterile packaging is essential to prevent bacteria and other microorganisms. Microorganisms can cause severe infections and even death. That’s why