Fiber-optic is the top choice in the corporate world and IT industry due to several reasons, including faster speed, no latency, increased security, and more reliability. Are you thinking about upgrading your internet connection for your business and want a fiber-optic internet?
If yes, then you need to understand the different types and classes of fiber-optic connections available in the market. Not all fiber-optic connections are created similar. Therefore, you need to understand the difference between different types before investing in a connection. The two most common types available in the market are P2P fiber and GPON.
What is P2P Fiber-optic Network?
A P2P or point-to-point fiber-optic network provides a direct connection from the access node to the server at a workstation. P2P network means there is a direct connection at every work station for data transmission, offering customized bandwidth.
In P2P, every single port directly connects to an Optical Network at your office building. It means that you are not sharing your internet with anyone else, and all that bandwidth is yours! For P2P, you might need to consider your office space for cabling, so do consult structured cabling companies in Dubai for accurate estimations.
P2P Fiber-optic network – Benefits and Limitations
Some of the benefits of a point-to-point fiber-optic network include the following:
- With P2P internet, you can enjoy more bandwidth at every single port without sharing your internet with other users.
- P2P can easily support internet speed over 1 Gb.
- P2P is easier to maintain and fix in case of any faults or damage.
- P2P offers a symmetrical connection with equal and fast upload and download speed.
- It offers a lot of flexibility and customization as you can add different features to your own router.
- MTTR is very less in case of P2P connection repairs (you can have your connection up and running within hours).
- P2P offers the ability to use MPLS networks (like a direct connection to the cloud).
These features of P2P are no doubt attractive, but with pros, there are always some cons. Here are some of the downsides of a P2P fiber network:
- More expensive to install (check installation price before making a decision)
- Not easily available in rural areas
- It has a prolonged installation period.
What is GPON Fiber-optic Network?
GPON, also called Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Network, has a point-to-multipoint connectivity infrastructure. The main feature of GPON is that it uses passive splitters, which enables the main fiber-optic line from a Central Location (of network provider) to give access to multiple users in a small business.
With GPON, you can serve multiple users through a single fiber-optic transport network. The passive splitter enables the data to be shared across different servers and end-users. Don’t worry about the security as it uses the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) for data protection.
GPON Fiber – Benefits and Limitations
The benefits of GPON are as follows:
- Faster internet speed at a lower price (as compared to P2P)
- Easy and flexible installation
- Can cover longer transmission distances (up to 60km)
- Support higher bandwidth as compared to other available connections.
- Has a higher split ratio (1:128), i.e., 1 network can be split up to 128 drop fibers. This significantly decreases the cost.
GPON also has its limitations, as explained below:
- It is a passive connection, so there is no control over bandwidth allocation.
- GPON is not symmetrical (different upload and download speeds)
- In case of any damage, repairing can take up to several days instead of hours.
- As data is shared over one connection, GPON is less secure.
- Due to the use of splitters for fanning the data, it is hard to pinpoint failures.
- During peak usage, you can experience a slower speed.
Things to Consider When Buying P2P or GPON
Which one is better for your business, P2P, or GPON? Well, the answer to that depends upon your business needs. However, if you are thinking about buying a P2P or a GPON fiber-optic network, keep the following factors in mind:
- What is your high bandwidth requirement per-port?
- Do you require a symmetrical connection, i.e., equal upload and download bandwidth?
- How much flexibility does my business require?
- Do you have multi-location offices that need to be connected online?
There are multiple factors that may affect your decision like the ones mentioned above and others like cost. If you are still confused and have difficulty deciding for your company, then consider approaching structured cabling companies in Dubai for figuring out the best choice for your company, depending upon your needs and office location.
Ready to Upgrade Your Internet!
P2P and GPON are both top of the line internet connections available in the market. Both connections have their benefits and limitations, and the right choice depends upon your business needs. But, for a lot of businesses, especially those in the IT sector, the benefits of P2P fiber-optic connection ultimately outweigh and surpass the limitations of GPON, especially for companies with a high growth rate.
Therefore, if you feel like your current bandwidth is affecting your productivity, then talk to a professional to find the perfect solution for your business.
The average cost of a cyber-security attack on an organization is $2.4 million. IT security risk management is a must
Quick question: What’s worse than the WiFi going down? Yes, that’s right. Nothing. Having your internet cut out in the
What’s your next big do-it-yourself project? You might be planning to do some woodworking, or maybe you’re in the early