The procedure involved in caring for your whitened teeth is easy. First, your decision to have brighter teeth was probably because they were discoloured. Now, you have those white pearls glistening with whiteness and looking good. It would only make sense that they remain this way before getting another necessary treatment. What do we mean? Post teeth whitening aftercare is crucial if you want to keep the result of your treatment.
There are key aspects to aftercare; attending your dental appointments and making sure to use the at-home kits provided by the dentist.
Here in this article, you will find four crucial post-care tips for whitening teeth that will produce long-lasting results.
Tips for keeping your teeth white after a teeth whitening treatment
- Do not eat coloured foods: You should keep in mind that your teeth are in a very vulnerable state to get stained two days after teeth whitening treatment. If you are serious about maintaining your white teeth, you should not eat deeply coloured foods or use tobacco products. This is because your tooth enamel gets weak from the action of the whitening treatment and, as such, can trap colour from any coloured substance that gets into the mouth.For the best results after whitening your teeth, stay away from foods like chocolate, cherries, dark sauces (soy sauce, red sauce, balsamic vinegar), all kinds of berries, colourful spices (curry, turmeric) and beets. For drinks, avoid coffee, tea, wine (red and white wine). These foods will discolour your already whitened teeth without delay and make the whole treatment a waste of time. You wouldn’t want this, would you? But there is an option to use a straw if you’re going to drink coloured liquids. This way, your teeth won’t be stained.
- Do not eat acidic foods: Another essential tip that will help keep your white teeth intact is avoiding foods and drinks containing acid. These include soda, oranges, limes, lemons, mangoes, pickles, tomato and tomato juice, etc. Acids will make worse the weakening of the pores or tubules in tooth enamels. Acids make the teeth susceptible to decay and stains when they have been whitened. For more information on how whitening treatment acts on teeth enamel, visit your nearest teeth whitening clinic. In the meantime, ensure you eat non-acidic foods and beverages like:
- Beans including black, lima, kidney and soy
- Peppers, peas, corn, spinach, asparagus, broccoli and corn
- Fish including salmon
- Green tea
- Honeydew melons, cantaloupes, and watermelons
- Bananas, papayas
- Yam, rice and potatoes
- Do not eat cold and hot foods: You will experience tooth sensitivity post-whitening. So, you need to avoid in general any food that is very cold or hot. As a matter of fact, you won’t be able to eat such foods with sensitive teeth. For help with any discomfort, get a toothpaste that is active against sensitive teeth. It is advised that you don’t eat or drink what’s not right in this situation. The only condition that allows for such consumption is when the food contains essential nutrients. However, it is mandatory that after eating, you rinse or brush your teeth. Where you cannot brush, eat sugar-free gum – this will prevent your teeth from getting stained or decayed.
- Eat saliva-producing foods: While it has been advised not to eat certain foods two days after teeth whitening, some foods can also be consumed within this period, and they would do your teeth good. You need foods that act as natural cleansers that brush your teeth as you munch away. These include crunchy veggies or fruits, particularly carrots, apples, green beans, and celery. Why should you eat these? They boost saliva production in the mouth. Saliva is a natural fluid that keeps the teeth clean while fighting against acidic foods and drinks. The more saliva your mouth contains, the better for your teeth health. A dry mouth will encourage faster decay and tooth problems.Crunchy veggies extricate temporary stains right before they adhere to the teeth. But if the veggies have dark colours, they may stain your teeth. To avoid this, rinse your mouth with water when you finish eating.
In addition to vegetables and fruits, you need to eat more dairy products and foods rich in calcium. The nutrients in these foods energise the teeth. They also prevent tooth decay and make for healthy teeth. Fruits containing vitamin C are essential for durable whitened teeth.
After eating fruits, munch on some cheese. They boost the pH levels in your mouth and trigger the salivary glands to produce more saliva. This helps in acid neutralisation.
Keeping those shiny white teeth
The right dental care following teeth whitening – depending on the type you receive – should maintain the teeth whiteness for a minimum of 12 months or more.
In brief, it comes down to the kind of food you eat and how you take care of your teeth; otherwise, the whitening treatment may not last as much as you would want it to. Use fluoride toothpaste for brushing as it keeps your enamel strong.
There are so many teeth whitening clinics in London, but not all of them may produce the desired result. So, you need to choose carefully when book your appointment for teeth whitening in London, as many practices may not offer what they claim to provide. Don’t go in for treatment simply because it’s cheap! Find out what makes the dentist reputable before you make a choice.
Spread the loveThe process of buying Ivermectin can be overwhelming and confusing, especially for first-time buyers. With so much information
Spread the loveHave you suffered a climbing wrist injury? Choosing the right surgeon can feel daunting. This article will guide